Blog Software Upgrade

After ignoring security alerts and upgrade notices for too long, I decided to upgrade the blog’s WordPress version to 3.x.  It was relatively, but not completely, painless.  It was a little more difficult than necessary due to doing everything over file transfer rather than shell access.  I also unexpectedly (probably because I only read the quick-start upgrade guide) had to export my old MySQL 4 database to MySQL 5 using 1&1’s PHPMyAdmin tools (which were more than sufficient for the task).   I noticed some minor data corruption with special characters.  After doing a quick UPDATE script to replace the characters “¬† “, I was good to go.

I’m hoping to take advantage of the new software to create a better blog with more content!